Thursday, 4 November 2010

Localisation

Localisation, localisation, localisation! It appears that is the buzzword at the moment that is overshadowing globalisation and all the benefits it has created for our post modernist world. We have entered into space, genetically egineered crops and mammals and we live in a cyber bubble that connects the world in miliseconds. So the question is why are we so disenchanted with where civilsation has arrived at? We are currently more advanced within the last thirty years then civilisation has been since it was breathed into existence. So why all the despondency?

Well one can not say that all of these incredibly huge leaps have not come at a price. Weaker nations are being exploited (as the weakest always have been), for low labour costs as their land is simultaneously exploited for cash crops. These exponents of globalisation feed into a greater hunger for cheaper and an ever increasing quantity of products, for even bigger profits for those who are sowing the seeds of this momentum.

So how does localisation play its part in development and change? I feel that we do not want to undermine the system that is in place as it is the only system that is in place. Therefore we need refine it rather than try and overthrow it. Harmonious redefinition of the factors that can dynamically benefit all is an ideology that can be exported into the FTSE 100 and the Neidek. I believe people are inherently good on the whole and thus when people feel that they are doing good whilst also being able to protect their own interests, solutions for this will have a high propenisty.

Localisation ultimately means that all food that we consume is produced and consumed locally. No packaging thousands of miles from where food is grown and no carbon footprint as aeroplanes fly food all around the world and back again due to cheap labour costs in africa for means of packaging, even though the product may come from Europe and ultimately end up shipped back into Europe to be sold at worldwide chains such as Walmart.

Farmers markets have started to infiltrate the local environment. In the UK this started in the 1997 as a movement to bring food production back to where it all began and since then it has taken off. Local farmer markets in the UK are said to bring in atleast£3.5 billion so their demand is there. Queens Park is my local farmers market and I am going to go there either this weekend or next. I plan to also start growing vegetables in my own back garden as it is rather vast and thus allows for me to do so, my dad will happily engage in this with me and I may have my own allotment before I know it. As I put my feelers out and see how this makes me feel, I feel that I will be able to understand abit more about the direction we are heading in and how we can help to manouvere forward in the right way and importantly harmoniously with capatilism which we must respect aswell.

It needs to happen ecologically and it is this solution that the world is now engaged in. I believe that as natural selection is determinately fatalistic we will have no choice but to find out the most ecological route as nature will either fight back and do it for us or our own cerebral possessions which are of course given to us by nature, might just get there first.

No comments:

Post a Comment